An interesting week

Well, this week I have been offered a job at an Islamic school and continued my quest to find decent Mexican food in Canada! Neither one worked out. Hopefully my foray this afternoon into yarn dyeing will go better than either of those.

The job was an interesting opportunity, and if the salary had been right, I would probably have taken it. It was a math position, but mostly elementary grades, and I've found I enjoy teaching math, so that was appealing. It's a small school, and the kids seemed VERY well behaved, and the staff was very friendly. They do have several non-Muslim teachers, so I wouldn't have been the odd one out, and they were willing to provide me with a veil and robe to wear, so I never would have had to buy work clothes again! However, the salary was appallingly low....I probably would have had to take on extra part time work in the evenings to get by. I can make more than twice as much supply teaching, even if I don't work every day. I also have a few other opportunities in the works, and am trying to convince myself I can continue supplying until the right thing comes along, so I don't have to "settle" for a less than perfect job. Unfortunately, I didn't become a teacher to babysit, which is what I do as a supply (OK, we all know that real teachers do some of this, too, but at least you occasionally get to actually have an impact!), so it's really very discouraging work. I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it's time to start a different career path. I didn't originally plan to teach forever, but I actually found that I liked it for a while there....

The Mexican food doesn't merit much comment. I had heard it was the best Mexican restaurant in London, which might be true....it's just not a high standard. There is a growing Latino population here, so there must be some small little hole-in-the-wall places that we just don't know about. Perhaps I will go study authentic Mexican cuisine and introduce it to Canada....

And now I'm going to go dye some sock yarn with Kool Aid. Yup, that's right. Kool Aid. I was disappointed by the small selection of flavours (and therefore colours) at our grocery store, but I have settled on a combination of purple (grape) and blue (umm, I think the flavour actually IS "blue"...). If it works well, I may someday go seeking a broader selection of colours. Pictures of this project coming soon for the curious!

Comments