Spinning Update

As promised, I'm going to show off a few items today so that there's something interesting to look at around here! :-) I have been doing much more spinning than knitting lately, so I'll give you a few of my yarns to look at, plus a few new fiber acquisitions (who am I kidding. A lot of new fiber!).

First, I joined the Spunky Eclectic fiber club in July, and I spun the first shipment, 4 oz. of Romney in Eclipse:
100_2786
Worsted-bulky singles. I love it, and wish I had had a double dose of it. I thought I had tracked down a second lot of it from another club member, but the deal seems to have fallen through. Waiting to see if I can still snag some before I decide what it's becoming!

I was so impressed with how much fun it was to spin that first Spunky fiber that I started in on some more Spunky goodness....merino-tencel in Toronto:
100_2815
Fingering-sport weight, 2-ply.

Last month I finished off a spinning project started during the Tour de Fleece, my laceweight blue merino. It sat a while waiting to be skeined, because it was fine and rather tangly, but the job is finally done:
100_2814
It is super sproingy and squishy, I can't wait to knit something with it. And there is plenty to knit with....if I did the math right, there's over 700 yds of it, so I should be able to do a shawl or something similar.

Now, for the fiber. I'm not sure if I should unveil it all at once...it's rather a lot. Remember, I haven't really blogged in almost 2 months, so there's been a lot of stash acquisition that's gone unshared. I guess I'll start with the early stuff and see how far I get before I run out of steam!

In August I visited my mother, and had lots of fun doing fibery things with family. My cousin's youngest daughter (she's....11, I think??) came over for the day and I let her spin on my wheel (she was a natural!), and then we dyed some fiber. I let her pick all the colours, and just helped her with the process. This is what she came up with:
100_2792
Merino/tussah silk.
100_2795
Brown Sheep Superwash wool.

Didn't she do a fabulous job picking out colours? I think she has a future career as a dyer if she wants it! Perhaps we can go into business together....

There's lots more fiber, quite a bit of it from Spunky Eclectic. In fact, I'm realizing that I haven't even photographed my last order. So I'll hold off on that for later. But one last little bit of fibery goodness to share today....from the Spunky Swap! My swap package from my amazing partner, Patty, came yesterday, and I have been truly spoiled:

100_2810
There is delicious handspun Falkland from Patty, plus the most luscious fiber....optim fiber, a processed merino that has a silky lustre and the softness of cashmere! And several other goodies....a wpi tool, some stitch markers, a PVC niddy noddy, and some firestar. Lots of fun will be had by me!

Comments

Kai said…
Ohh lots of yarny/fibrey goodness!!! 700yds is WOW! :)
Anonymous said…
Wow, 700 yards is very fine. I can't get my spinning that fine (or I'm too scared).

And isn't your cousin(?) a natural with colours. They're fab.
Anonymous said…
oooo, what fab spinning you've been doing. What great goodies you've been getting too!!