Fireside Frenzy

I'm focusing this post on some finished knitting today, and will be posting another "big news" post separately! So here's what I'm showing off today...excuse the bad photography:

100_3344
Fireside Footies in my handspun Spunky Eclectic club fiber (December colourway--Champagne, domestic wool blend).

This pair is for Stephen. I've been talking about knitting him some slippers for ages, and was thinking of something in grey--so when I finished this yarn I knew that was its destiny! BTW, the yarn looked like this:
100_3338
Worsted weight singles--about 225 yards. This was shorter than what the pattern called for (240 yards), so I was a bit nervous. In fact, I decided to knit a test pair for myself out of some Patons Classic Wool Merino just to be sure I would have enough handspun:

100_3342
There was leftover yarn from this pair, so I proceeded with Stephen's and also had quite a lot of yarn leftover. I would say that (depending on the exact yarn, how much it felts, and the finished size) you could easily make a pair of these out of 200 yards of worsted weight.

Now just a note about the pattern...it's not the clearest set of directions I've ever encountered. First, and this is a small complaint, in the directions for the heel flap it says "work R 1&2 for 12 rows". I'm quite certain this is a typo and that the author meant 12 REPEATS--a total of 24 rows. 12 rows would be way to shallow of a heel. From looking at other people's work, I think pretty much everyone has figured this out.

The bigger problem I encountered was in working the heel turn. The directions as given do not work out--you wouldn't be able to work 7 rows of the heel turn pattern, and you would end up with more than 14 stitches left. For my pair, I muddled through and came up with my own modified version:
R1: S1 P12 P2tog P1
Turn
R2: S1 K3 K2tog K1
Turn
R3: S1 P to one stitch before the break (the last turn) P2tog, P1
Turn
R3: S1 K to one stitch before the break (the last turn) K2tog, K1
work rows 3 & 4 for 7 more rows (until no st remain to be worked)
(14 st should remain)

This gives you the right number of rows & stitches, but does make a pretty narrow heel. It actually worked well for my foot, though.

But after working that option out, I received a message from a Ravelry user with a link to her own corrected version. After reading it, I think that she has figured out what the designer actually meant. So I used this version to make Stephen's pair, and it seems to have worked out quite well.

OK, so that's what I've turned out in knitting lately. More life news to come shortly, and maybe a spinning post as well...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oo, lovely slippers made from fab-looking yarn.

Boo to the unclear directions, but at least you managed to make them work for you. =)