Eating Seasonally: Celeriac Soup

I just finished eating a bowl of this, and it was good enough that I wanted to share the recipe right away! No pictures of it, I'm afraid--but even if I did, they wouldn't be very exciting looking. White bowls full of light colored soup aren't terribly photogenic. But the flavor here is amazing!

First, a note--this recipe is a modified version of one I was given by a chef at Entertaining Elements in St. Jacobs. It's a very simple recipe, and was delicious the way she made it--I just simplified it even a bit more, I think.

Ingredients:
1 sweet onion (regular cooking onion would probably also be good), chopped
2 Tbsp butter
pinch Kosher salt
2-3 cloves garlic, minced/pressed
1 celeriac (celery root), washed, peeled, and roughly chopped
6 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for true vegetarian version)
1/3 cup milk (optional)

1. Melt butter in large pot over medium heat, then add onions and dash of salt. Cook until onions are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Add garlic, stir, and cook 1 more minute.
3. Add celeriac and broth. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer (covered) for about 1 hour or until celeriac is soft.
4. Turn off heat and use immersion blender to blend until smooth.
5. Depending on desired texture, add milk (or additional broth). Stir in and return to heat until soup is piping hot.
6. Serve with fresh ground black pepper, crusty bread, and a nice salad. Perfect winter food!

I'll be getting another celeriac from the local buying club next week, so I will be making this again next month. I'll try to take some pictures, especially of the celeriac itself (it's an interesting looking thing if you've never seen one!). But don't wait for that, try it now--it's delicious. And, it's healthy, simple, and seasonal. Enjoy!

Comments