Eating Seasonally: Apple Spice Muffins

Wow, 2 days in a row! And yes, I'm back with MORE muffins. Can you have too many muffins? I'm pretty sure you can't.

I needed to bake something today, and when I was rooting around in the kitchen I realized that I had a few apples that were past their prime. Well, past their eating prime. They were still well within their baking prime! So I went searching for a recipe for an apple muffin, but didn't find one that looked just right too me. I tinkered around with things and came up with this:

_IGP1059

And it does taste just about as good as it looks. It's not quite perfect, so please feel free to tinker with it. I'd suggest perhaps adding another egg or a bit more oil. I was trying to make it a relatively healthy muffin, but I think a bit more fat might make it taste better. However, there's nothing wrong with it the way it is, and I feel a bit less guilty. So here you go:

2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup apple sauce (I used apple butter, which upped the flavour a bit!)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 t salt
1 t baking powder
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 t cloves
2 cups apple, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice (3 small apples or 1-2 large ones)
4 t cinnamon sugar (I make my own and keep it on hand in a little container, but I don't have ratios for you--a pinch of cinnamon per teaspoon of sugar, I guess?)

1. Prepare a standard 12 cup muffin pan and preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Beat eggs, oil, apple sauce, and maple syrup together until well combined. Add in sugar and mix until well blended.
3. Combine dry ingredients (salt, baking powder, both flours, spices) and mix into wet ingredients.
4. Stir in apples until well distributed.
5. Divide mixture between muffin cups, filling each at least 3/4 full (these muffins will not rise much because of the apples). Sprinkle the top of each one with cinnamon sugar.
6. Bake at 375 for approximately 20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking time. Allow to cool and enjoy!

Comments